It is the first day of 2013, and the first day, of my first ever - new year's resolution... and it's a whopper.
I have not so suddenly decided to end my addiction to sugar to go 'cold cane' if you will, and to stop eating and or drinking all other sugar related things that used to call themselves food. They are dead to me now.
I've tacked on a couple of other things that I am avoiding for now that I think might trigger me into a binge or a craving or just has not been serving my digestion well over the years. The list is lengthy, so my wife and I have decided, after much discussion (and a little whimpering on my part), is to focus on things I can have. She is going to be very supportive by the way, but not necessarily participating.
In this first week, since it is going to be the most difficult, I am going to allow myself a bit of a fatty food binge, with lots of green things to make the diet not so one sided. We spent about $125 at the health food store getting lots of yummy things to eat: Avocados, collard greens, beets, zucchini, celery (lots of celery!), green onions, a box of salad mix, apples, dried apricots, split yellow peas, tempeh, tofu, ground turkey, ground beef, chicken livers, oysters (because it is a new years tradition, but then we did some digging and found out they are SOOO good for you), eggs, tea (bengal spice because it is naturally sweet), goat cheddar (because I never knew such a thing existed, and cow dairy is on the shunned list), frozen blueberries, brown rice, sauerkraut and mushrooms. The wife also got carrots - but I will probably not be eating too many of those for now.
I don't know if this plan is going to work. I just know that I am done feeling like a slave to sugar, so... I had the Mrs. hide all of the sugar in the house... Including the sugar we use for baking: the white cane, the brown, and the powdered... all gone. My stash of fudge... gone. My road trip treats... gone. Her whiskey...safely out of reach. The cookies... finished off, and not by me. Ready, set, eat healthy.
I gave it a slow start yesterday, no alcohol, and only a little bit of sugar in the cocktail sauce for the oysters. This morning I am having a coffee substitute, half an avocado, some fried chicken livers (don't eat them if you don't like them. They are like candy to me!) and I cooked up the rest of the oysters. Probably not the best start ever, but like I said - this first week is all about getting past the cravings. I've got a handful of celery stalks, the lord of the rings trilogy cued up, and two days off in order to get through the toughest 48 hours.
I am currently Thirteen hours into the day, and no symptoms of withdrawal yet. Wish me luck.
No comments:
Post a Comment