Wednesday, January 2, 2013

First 48

It is bright and early on January 2nd, and I am now 34 hours into sugar withdrawal.

Yesterday ended up being a bit rough, but for unexpected reasons. As is was a day full of beginnings... I also started my period with an unprecedented level of cramping. I don't know if it was related to the sugar withdrawal or not, but right now, I have to assume that it could have been. And I would also have to admit that the cramps may have been no worse than in the past, but that it is possible that my tolerance for pain was limited by some reduced happy hormone.
I stuck to my guns and did not take anything for it - as all of the possible medicines available had some sort of funkiness I was not interested in ingesting (Alcohol, sugar, or unpronounceable things like xanthium gum).  That lasted about 5 hours and then became a tolerable ache. I pretty much watched movies all day - as planned.

This morning I had a big pile of beet greens, sweet potatoes, tempeh, and goat cheese.  I've already finished off the chicken livers and ate half an avocado. Except for the cheese... so far this diet is super Paleo. The wife is concerned about ketosis from the lack of carbs... so we looked it up. Turns out, a low carb diet isn't so bad if it is high in fat. Since my binge has been super high in fat, I have nothing to worry about for now. This is of course only according to wikipedia... so, I'll keep researching as I go - will let you know what I find.

I will also be posting photos eventually... was thinking about doing a little project of a photo a day to see what changes if any occur in my body.

For today, my big plan is to get the body moving. All the research I've done so far says that physical activity is the way to get through these cravings - which so far are not that bad. Had half an apple and 2 strips of beef bacon last night to fight the only real craving I had - and then I went to bed at 9:45pm. Whatever - it worked. I made it through the first day. I did sleep very lightly and woke up several times through the night. That is apparently to be expected, and I feel rested enough, so I am not going to worry about it yet. Instead, I am going to help move a bunch of furniture. It's not exercise exactly... but it will do the trick I think.

I expect the crazy to set in any minute now...  will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment